The Aberdeen Angus Romania Association is a thriving organization that provides solutions for Aberdeen Angus cattle farmers in Romania, aiming to strengthen and promote the advantages of this breed. With over 120,000 Aberdeen Angus cattle, we are the largest association in Romania specialized in the production of beef.
The Aberdeen Angus Romania Association is structured in three departments, the Meat Production Performance Control, the Herd Book and the Commercial Department.
„Superior genetics means performance and progress”
One of the mottoes that guide us is „Superior genetics means performance and progress” and through this we aim to improve and perfect the Aberdeen Angus breed so that in the future the growth of this breed will become as popular as possible in our country and the specimens of our members will be recognized worldwide.
The Association aims to promote the Aberdeen Angus breed in both breeding farms and in commercial beef farms, to ensure the integrity of the breed at national and global level.
Our vision and mission
Supporting Romanian farmers breeding Aberdeen Angus cattle in order to increase the performance of this breed at national and international level.
- The Aberdeen Angus Romania Association was founded in 2012.
- Accreditation for the Official Control of Meat Production for taurines was obtained in 2013. It was the first association in Romania accredited for the Official Control of Meat Production in cattle.
- Accreditation for the management of the Aberdeen Angus Breed Registry in Romania is received in 2015. It was and is the only association in Romania accredited for the management of the Aberdeen Angus Breed Registry.
The Aberdeen Angus Romania Association is based on the main breeders of Aberdeen Angus cattle in Romania.
- Honesty and integrity in all our relations with farmers and state institutions, these activities being carried out with transparency while respecting the privacy of stakeholders.
- Respect for the needs, requirements and necessities of members, farmers, the board of directors and staff involved in executive work for the proper conduct of professional activities.
- Joint responsibility for the development of technology and logistics to support Romanian farmers breeding Aberdeen Angus cattle.
It is formed by young livestock engineers, passionate and dedicated to the Aberdeen Angus breed, joined by all Romanian farmers in order to develop the performance of this breed in the country and to get their recognition worldwide. The knowledge of the specialists within the association, together with the experience gained over the years, are the basis for supporting the Aberdeen Angus farmers in Romania. All these strengths aim to develop a genetically valuable and globally recognized nucleus. At the moment we perform O. P. C. on farms in all counties of Romania, with six machines and six special cattle weighing trailers that have integrated metro logically approved scales.
We are the only association in Eastern Europe that has held an official auction of Aberdeen Angus cattle, in order to offer Romanian farmers the opportunity to purchase genetically valuable animals, but especially to inform them and to meet them again at the annual „Aberdeen Angus Day in Romania” in Cluj-Napoca.
Education and development
Improving the skills of members and involving young farmers by carrying out innovative educational activities and a program for the development of the young. The team being formed by young livestock engineers, through motivation and professionalism we believe in the potential of agriculture in Romania.
Objectives and activity of the association
We aim to improve the Aberdeen Angus breed in Romania with the objective of increasing the results for certain breeding, production and protection of the breed at national level.
The main tasks of the Aberdeen Angus Romania Association are:
- Carrying out on-site controls (O. P. C.) for weighing young cattle in order to calculate the evolution of genetic performance.
- Development of the Aberdeen Angus Breed Register database with the aim of improving the breed and responding promptly to requirements from member farmers.
- Official Production Control (O. P. C.) and Management of the Herd Book for the Aberdeen Angus breed in Romania.
- Development of the „A. A. C. D.” – Aberdeen Angus Computerized Database software, with which we aim to create a database that is as accurate as possible regarding the Aberdeen Angus cattle herds on our members’ farms and to provide support for the prompt resolution of farmers’ requirements.
- Based on this we will be able to calculate genetic performance for the selection of the most valuable Aberdeen Angus cattle in the country and over time to improve the results of this breed.
- Providing information to member farms and collaborating associations on the proper growth of this breed and compliance with the regulations for this purpose.
- Improvement of a breeding program for the development of the breed in line with farmers’ requirements.
- Participation in profile exhibitions and promotion of Aberdeen Angus cattle.
- Conduct meetings for information exchange and training.
- Organize sessions and meetings for international collaboration.
- Representation of the members of the association before state institutions.
1. Meat Production Performance Control (M. P. P. C.)
Aberdeen Angus Romania Association was the first association in Romania accredited to carry out Performance Testing for Meat Production in cattle in 2013.
What does M. P. P. C. mean and how does it help:
- The weighing of specialized cattle for meat production by an approved association;
- Genetic evaluation of cattle from the breeds specialized for meat production;
- Genetic evaluation of cattle according to the evolution of average daily gain
- (A. D. G.) at different ages;
- Calculate the evolution of their performance at different ages of youth;
- Broadening the selection base according to breeding objectives and cattle performance;
- Improving farm management.
M. P. P. C. objectives:
- Through performance selection, the aim is to increase the production of the Aberdeen Angus breed in Romania and to increase the performance of the farms;
- Broadening the selection base, estimating breeding values and implementing the breeding program using the performance of the cattle calculated by the association’s O. P. C. department;
- Regional-Territorial Organization of Meat Production Performance Control;
- Improving farm management means by providing farmers with the right information to develop the conditions for cattle breeding.
2. Herd Book (H. B.
The Aberdeen Angus Romania Association is the only association in Romania accredited to manage the herd book for the Aberdeen Angus breed. The accreditation was received in 2015.
What does H. B. mean and how does it help:
- It is the genetic breeding tool aimed at improving the performance of Aberdeen Angus cattle;
- It is a database of ascendants, contemporaries and descendants of Aberdeen Angus cattle;
- Logistics and permanent monitoring for issuing Certificates of Origin (Pedigree);
- Creating a database with DNA profiles of breeding bulls in Romania to verify / establish the identity and the ascendancy of Aberdeen Angus cattle;
The objectives of the H. B.:
- Development of „A. A. C. D.” Aberdeen Angus Computerized Database software, which aims to streamline the centralization of information about Aberdeen Angus cattle farms in Romania and to provide support for the prompt resolution of farmers’ requirements. With the help of the software we can calculate the genetic performance for the selection of the best performing bulls in the country and over time improve the results of this breed;
- Phenotype assessment (economic value) of Aberdeen Angus cattle. All bulls used in natural mating are certified by the Aberdeen Angus Romania Association and have a DNA profile/lineage;
- Development of a reference database of bull performance based on which genomics testing is to be carried out;
- Access to Breed-plan;
- Continue to organize information events for breeders and promote the Aberdeen Angus breed.
3. Commercial department
The Angus Association L. L. C. – The first farm Aberdeen Angus cattle collection farm for fattening and breeding.
The Aberdeen Angus Romania Association has a new department that aims at commercial activity by collecting fattening and breeding cattle of the Aberdeen Angus breed and half-breed from all members of the association.
On April 9th of 2022, the Aberdeen Angus collection farm was inaugurated in the town of Fântânele, Mures county.
- Financial conditions: for each category of cattle (weight, sex, breed) the association guarantees a price from which it will start selling the animals. The auction, the sale will be announced on a speaker, and will be made by group (weight, sex, breed) or by animal head;
- Association commission: 3% from the seller and 3% from the buyer (as operating costs of the sales department, employees, utilities, feed, veterinary treatments, etc.);
- Weighing: the cattle will be weighed at the entrance of the collection farm, the farmer can participate in the weighing or an email can be sent to the farmer with the animal’s ear tag and weight, with the whole procedure being also filmed (this is the weight used for sale);
- Transport: the farmer can transport them himself or we can transport them with the association’s truck.